A Petition for Change in Memory of Dan Markingson
Many alumnae, myself included, have declared our disappointment at our alma mater. And recently, a number of important people of international reach have been motivated by Markingson's story and are demanding justice on his behalf. A change.org petition, initiated by Markingson's friend Mike Howard, implores Minnesota Governor Mike Dayton to investigate the case. Despite ongoing efforts by the U of M to bury the issue, advocates for Markingson continue to demand answers and are gaining increasing support.
High-profile signatures have already come from:
- three former editors of the New England Journal of Medicine
- Susan Reverby, PhD, who uncovered the Guatemalan syphilis scandal.
- a former editor of the British Medical Journal
- Vera Sharav, the founder of the Alliance for Human Research Protection
- and many other prominent bioethicists, health practitioners, academics, and community members (see the list here).
It’s important to bring attention to this issue to help prevent further cases like it. But equally important, the petition helps honor the memory of Dan Markingson, a real person, not just a symbol, whose family is hurting deeply today.
Previously on Biopolitical Times: